Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Aftermath of Election 08'

As a wave of relief washes over the entire country, partly because Obama was elected(which I had no doubt), but mostly because the pre-election nightmare of campaigning is over, it is time to embark on change.
What all that will entail, who knows?!, but at least we are free to keep the hope alive and have some sort of semblance of a future. Best of all, John McCain and Sarah Palin will have no part in it!
It's impossible to imagine things from here on out will be simple. And yes, we will have to wait until the 20Th of January for the inauguration, but there is an immense amount of hope that will give this country an opportunity to take a deep breath and let this man figure it all out however he deems necessary.
Personally, I'm really excited that I will never have to imagine what might have happened if McCain and Palin had pulled it off. Not that I even believed for a second they could have, but still. What a relief!!

It's going to take a while to get over some of the other ridiculousness that comes along with electing the first (partially) African American president. As if the color of his skin or genetic history have anything to do with his ability to lead this country.
It really does effect me when I repeatedly hear references to "fried chicken and watermelon" and just the general disgust of individuals too ignorant to accept his accomplishments despite his skin color. And I'm sure the next four years (possibly eight) will be full of comparative judgements, but I guess it's impossible to expect more from people. Even I, a white middle class female in my twenties, face countless prejudices daily. Whether it's my tattoos or pink hair or overall confidence in myself despite my personal irregularities. Not that I should be an exception because of my skin color, but unfortunately that is all some people choose to see.

Here's to getting through the next two months without a national catastrophe and looking toward the future, without judgement or prejudice or hate. It's time to move on people.

No comments: